a blog about Kilt and her kids plus Trouble our JRT mascot.

My photo
Sequim, Washington, United States

Friday, May 9, 2014

Almost 3 decades

On my way to work I was thinking that I have spent over half of my adult life working at Henry Mayo Newhall Memorial Hospital.  The majority of my years were spent in the DOU, an ICU step down, which has always been home for me.  But, I have worked most areas of the hospital from being in the ACLS float pool, rotating charge nurse on all of the med-surg units, acute rehab charge nurse, float pool that included the women's unit and nursery, and asst. director of the Transitional Care Unit.

Cynthia, the clinical manager in ICU brought over a TON of Pancit.  Oh my goodness.  We all had pancit for breakfast, pancit with our lunch and took home some for dinner and wow, it was YUM!

I was somewhere on the unit starting an IV when the two dozen roses arrived.  The card was in my nurses bag.  So everyone was trying to figure out who they were from since there was no card.  Cathy, our charge nurse knew.  She said Suzanne usually buys us lunch on her birthday and since she is leaving, I bet these are from her.  Bingo.  The last time I sent my co-workers two dozen roses was when I was out with my cancer diagnosis receiving chemo and radiation.  It was about time!



This was one of my lovely cancer patients with her FABULOUS shirt.  Fuck Cancer.  My sentiments, too.  I discharged her as I was leaving my last shift today at the hospital.  Good luck and best wishes to you, my fellow cancer survivor :0)

Cathy, our charge nurse, supplied a lunch to feed an army.  Pizzas, salads, specialty dishes, tri-tip, barbecued chicken, egg rolls, etc. etc.  Pretty insane!

More going away cakes.  And, wow, were they DELISH!


Director of ICU/DOU and past Chief of Staff joined in for a photo op.

All day long, people from all over the hospital came by the unit to give me a hug,  Many stories were shared.  The hospital chaplain came by and asked me if it all was kind of bittersweet.  I told her, "Not really."  It seems like I have been saying goodbye since last summer when I bought out house in Sequim.  It has been a lengthy transition and I just kind of slipped into it.
I am leaving feeling SO loved.  i will never forget any of my co-workers.  That's for sure.

Now, on to a NEW chapter in my life :0)

No comments: