a blog about Kilt and her kids plus Trouble our JRT mascot.

My photo
Sequim, Washington, United States

Sunday, August 4, 2013

Getting Unstuck



Getting Unstuck by Pema Chodron (American Buddhist nun)

This is what Champ and I listened to on our way to Washington.  I have never heard Champ "howl" before, but that's what he did every time the meditation music would come on.  I loved it.  I laughed so hard, I had to pull off the road. :0)

Getting Unstuck is about breaking habitual patterns and encountering 'naked' reality.  Pema speaks about "sherpa"....an urge comes up, we succumb to it, and it becomes stronger.  We reinforce our cravings, habits, and addictions by giving in to them repeatedly.  Pema explores the moments when we get 'hooked' and offers us a look at the freedom available when we uncover sherpa and work with it intelligently and compassionately.

These CDs help in;

1) Ways to unravel patterns of self-denigration and develop a fundamental "maitri" (loving-kindness) towards yourself.

2) How to cultivate acceptance of your irritability, insecurities, and other simply human traits.

3) Recognizing, refraining, relaxing, and resolving:  the four R's of working with shenpa, and more.

I have really enjoyed listening to these CDs.  And, my husband has listened to bits and pieces all on his own....no encouragement from me.  That's pretty cool :0)  He said he almost fell asleep in my truck listening. That would be okay too....as long as he sleeps on the side of the road. LOL

This is the first time I bought a few CDs from Amazon for a long road trip.  I also, bought a 7 CD book to listen to on the way home.  I bought it for $4.00 used off of Amazon,com.  The story was so-so, but the last 5 minutes of the 7th CD was scratched.  That made me laugh.  I knew what the ending was going to be anyway, but it still tickled my funny bone that the ending was scratched.  Plus, it did keep me more alert listening than I would have been without listening.  Driving through California is monotonous on the 5 freeway and it is difficult to stay alert.  I have bought a few more audio books for my next travels to the PNW.

No comments: