a blog about Kilt and her kids plus Trouble our JRT mascot.

My photo
Sequim, Washington, United States

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Random thoughts continue...

I just found out that it wouldn't have mattered if I had sent my entry to Zamora by Express mail.  I was told they drew envelopes out of a box.  I usually don't have that bad of luck.  Funny, no "big" names were on the waiting list. :0)  I drew up LAST in the run order for pro-novice, too.  I wonder what my horoscope said that day.  Hahaha  It's okay.  Even though it's the greatest field EVER (velvety green mountains) I'll live.  I scratched and hope my luck is better next year.  Driving 12 hours round trip for one pro-novice run with Yoko is too pricey with gas and a hotel.  Bummer that I made hotel reservations some 5 months ago awaiting this fantastic trial.  Oh well.  I can cancel those, too. C'est la vie.

My husband wants to work until he is 65 yrs. old.  That is another 10 years since I am almost 8 yrs. older than he is.  Some friends at the hospital have asked me when I am going to retire?  Hmmmm. One said she had a friend who just died at 62 yrs. of age.  Then she asked me how old I was.  I replied, "62."  She said, "See!."  Yikes....I thought about that all day while I was working.

I think about that (croaking before I am 70) every 6 mos. that  I go to have a sigmoidoscopy done to see if the anal cancer has come back.  I have been in remission for just over 3 years.  They say if I can get past the 5 year marker, I'll stand a chance of not having it reoccur.  Reoccurrence would be a death sentence.  Me and Farrah Fawcette.  Coincidental as I was going through chemo and radiation, Farrah was dying of the same cancer.  I could do without those coincidences.

Though, I am REALLY thinking about buying a cargo van.  I'd like to put a bed in it and dog crates under the bed.  I'd like to hit the road with my Border Collies.  I have always been a bit of a "wanderlust."  In fact, it was a toss up which would I rather be, a nurse or a trucker.  No kidding.  That was a big decision for me.
I have been a nurse now for over almost 30 years.  I have traveled all over the United States by myself in my off time and love it.  My friends ask me if I am scared to travel alone.  The answer is, "No."

Back to the cargo van.  When my father's house in Florida sells, I should get a little money from the sale.  I will have enough to buy a van and set it up as I would like it to be.  SIMPLE.  I like simple.  I don't need to pull a trailer.  I don't need an RV.  I don't want a microwave. KISS  Keep it simple stupid.

I have been discussing this a little at a time with my husband, that I want to quit work and travel around the United States.  I want to go to all of the National Parks.  I want to visit with all of my friends and family.  Friends definitely outweigh how many family members are left, but still.... 

I have always wanted to hike the Pacific Crest trail.  It was a dream of mine.  I'm probably too damn arthritic at age 62, plus, I want my dogs to come along with me.  And, I'm not carrying a backpack of food and water for them.  :0) Sorry guys.  We will be much better off driving, I think.  We can do some day hikes. And, yes, I pack a gun.  And, yes, I can shoot it.

I better hurry and formulate this plan (dream)  before gas prices get closer to $10/gallon.  Just think.... all of the National Parks won't have any crowds, because who will be able to afford to travel.  Ahhh dreams.  Dream BIG, Suzanne.  DREAM BIG.

2 comments:

Karen said...

It's good to have dreams, and even better if you make some of them happen.
Hey, the dogs can pack their own food and water, and I can soooo imagine you as a trucker:)

gvmama said...

Karen...I'm not sure that is a compliment...you so can imagine me as a trucker. LOL
Wanderlust...yep, I love to travel!