a blog about Kilt and her kids plus Trouble our JRT mascot.

My photo
Sequim, Washington, United States

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Zamora bound in a month

Zamora is everything you could ask for in a sheepdog trial.  Last year was our first attempt in open.  Kilt got lost the first day.  She listened to me, but just couldn't find her sheep and crosssed over on the left side of the field.  The 2nd day she made about 2-3 stops in the canyon walls on the right, but finally reached her sheep.  Exhibitors watching could see her, but I couldn't from my post position. Unfortunately, she only brought 4 range sheep back instead of 5.  This year, I'm hoping I trained a little better for Zamora.
http://walkupbcs.blogspot.com/2010/02/lost-in-zamora-i-adora-zamora.html     (See last year's blog)

Last year was the first time I had set eyes on Zamora's humongous outrun with hills and swales and traps everywhere you looked. So, this year, I am a little more savvy.  I have been there.  It's the most fun trial I have ever been to even if Kilt only brought 4 sheep down to the post.  Baby Yo was too immature for pro-novice, but she will get a chance this year to run in it.

I'm training this year in the desert.  I'm training on motocross hills and having Kilt run the ridges of the hills in the desert to look for sheep.  I'm stretching the dogs out on their outruns.  If they consistently run 300 to 400 yds., then that's where they are going to start to turn in to look for stock.  So, now, I must consistently train 500 to 600 yds. on the outrun.  Bryan White has been helping me with his dogs, Scoop and Rio, setting sheep.

Rio and Scoop

Kilt is doing well running the ridges, but I still need to streeeeetch her out a bit.  I've got a month to get her ready.  I think Yoko could handle the outrun (because she is an outrunning mother f'er), but she doesn't have her Mom's mojo on range sheep (not yet).  I will keep Yoko in pro-novice for another year.

The future depends on what we do in the present. - Mahatma Gandhi The future depends on what we do in the present. - Mahatma Gandhi The future depends on what we do in the present. - Mahatma Gandhi
Where I am practicing in the desert

Note:  I scheduled this post for February 2nd, but it wanted to be posted now.  So be it, but above the last picture in very light lettering (which I darkened) so I could see it is something I did not post.  Now that's pretty eerie.  Maybe, I should make that my mantra!
                                    

1 comment:

Karen said...

That's kind of...weird?
Looks like Gandhi is telling you not once, but three times to practice hard in this next month before the trial:) Good luck with that, and I look forward to reading how it all turns out!
The scenery in last year's post makes me think of New Zealand, or Great Britain.