a blog about Kilt and her kids plus Trouble our JRT mascot.

My photo
Sequim, Washington, United States

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Sheepdog community

I posted an ongoing problems I was having with Champ and the reply on To Novice and Beyond was staggering.  So much input.  Love the sheepdog community.  And, then they got into sheepdog quotes.  Now, that was really hilarious.  I'm sure it made even the most novice of handlers see that we all have problems.

When you are first starting out, you are scared, nervous, and feel that "all" eyes are upon you, you and your dog.  It really is quite nerve wracking.  When, in fact, we all have our own suitcase of problems and are concentrating on our turn to the post.  Sometimes you just have to get out there and just do it.  We all RT at some time and we all get DQ'ed at another time.  You won't be the first, you won't be the last.

I am my own biggest critic.  "They don't do that at home."  LOL  Well, it's the truth.  Really.  More laughter....  Lately, I'm thinking they need to move the handler's post far away from the judges stand because on the fetch I have been thinking out loud.  And, it's not purty.  I'm like, "Oh my God, what the heck are you doing?"  That usually is in reference to "Slow down you sneaky SOB."  "STOP, for God's sake!"

I am missing TASK ranch where I used to work my dogs 15 min away.  I am lucky that I have a small field here to work in Sequim, but the dogs are getting a bit sour and really need some practical work.  I try to change up what they do all of the time, but there is only so much you can do with a 4 acre field and a pen.

The good news is that their precision work is better and in more control.  I usually  never watch them with an eagle eye doing their ranch work.  I just trust them to get the job done no matter what we are doing.  And, sometimes I'm sure their flanks, stops, etc. aren't coinciding with control and precision trial work.  A little of this can't be a BAD thing, but a lot of that will bite you in the arse on the trial field.

I'm hoping when I get on the road in March that I can call upon my sheepdog friends and find some places to work while I am on the road.  I can't make any plans yet, because it will be kind of like a last minute notice IF I even get in the trials I entered.  I know I got into McCormack, but not sure about Hepner or Sonoma.  Remains to be seen.  My husband keeps asking, "When are you coming home to Green Valley?"  Heck, if I know.  At least, not yet.

I'm a firm believer that it will all work out :0)


No comments: