a blog about Kilt and her kids plus Trouble our JRT mascot.

My photo
Sequim, Washington, United States

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Some Days Are Diamonds



This was ME pretty much the first 4 months after moving to Sequim by myself.  So much to do, so much to unpack, so much to figure out.  Plus, the drama and trauma that befell me in those months.  Jet almost died, 2 house floods, Champ almost died from lepto....the list was endless.  I was wrapped up in a world of contractors. New drywall, old carpet removed, new carpet put down, new tile laid...well, the list was endless.
Somewhere in all of this mess I lost my mind.  And, with my mind, I also lost my Mother and Grandmother's diamond wedding rings.  I spent almost 2 months of sleepless nights.  I would get up at 2, 3, and 4 AM to search the house.  I would rack my brain as to where I might have hid the rings.  I was good about hiding my loaded revolver while all of the workers were here.  I knew where I wanted to put the rings, but couldn't find a ladder to put them where I wanted.  Then, I must have drew a BLANK.
After months of tears and sleepless nights, I just figured they #1) stolen or #2) Just got rolled up in the old carpet when it was removed or #3) I accidentally threw them away in the boxes and boxes of trash that went to the dump :0(  After those couple of months of severe depression (first time in my life that I remember being depressed) I had to let it go.  I asked for forgiveness from my Mother and Grandmother.  I put it to rest.

Wayne arrives after a long 6 months without him.  He immediately start quizzes me about the rings.  I ask him NOT to discuss it.  I don't want to ruin the Holidays.  One of the rings was to go to my son's wife for a wedding ring :0( for Christmas.  I had already told my son while he was in Japan that they were gone.  He was very understanding about it.  I felt like such a Schlep.

Tuesday, the 22nd, Wayne and I ran around doing all sorts of odd chores, visiting and grocery shopping.  A family tradition is to have a bowl of walnuts, etc. out for Christmas.  We put the nuts  in a bowl out on the table.  Wayne said, "Do you have a nut cracker?"  I said, "I am sure I do, but God knows where."

About 10 minutes after while I was looking at photos on the computer, Wayne says, "I can't believe you spent months of sleepless nights looking for the rings."  I say, "What are you talking about?" He nonchalantly with a huge grin on his face said, "This is why!!  He held up the film can with both diamond rings in it.  I almost COLLAPSED.  I started bawling.  I hung around his neck.  I wouldn't let go.

He said, we would have never found them if I hadn't mentioned looking for the nut cracker.  He found them in the film can where I always keep them (because they were in a safety deposit box back in Calif) jammed (so it couldn't roll) in the very back of this odd drawer that I don't use in the kitchen for hardly anything.  I had only a few trinkets in the drawer since it is so small in diameter.


It's going to be a truly Merry Christmas that my son's wife can choose one of these wedding rings for hers.  Now, I need to go get some jewelry cleaner and get them cleaned up.


So, someone was looking out for me.  Wayne said he KNEW he would find them.  I had my doubts since he always misplaces his keys, etc.  But, I am so grateful.  My heart is bursting.  

Merry Christmas everyone!





3 comments:

oddman said...

Hey wonderful story. I just know your Christmas will be good now. May your 2015 be filled with joy and good health! Take some ME time, sounds like you need it!

pgrant said...

I am so happy for you. What a wonderful Christmas present for yourself. Have a Happy New Year!

Karen said...

Oh, I'm crying for you, how wonderful. That was great to read this morning!
I got a not so wonderful shock yesterday.