a blog about Kilt and her kids plus Trouble our JRT mascot.

My photo
Sequim, Washington, United States

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Moments that amused me

For my birthday Task Farms gave me a bottle of Eye of the Hawk ale.  All week long all I did see was HAWKS.  Including this Hawk-eye I got a picture of.....


My girls waiting for Jet to load up the sheep in the stock trailer.
Are we going yet Mom?
 
After working my sheep I always go for a hike.  I came back to this last week.  Buffy, my lead sheep was opening the stock trailer ready to load up to go home :0)
 
 
First time ever in the desert I have seen several Burrowing owls this winter.  Kilt came across this den and an owl flew out chattering away at us.  He was too far away for me to get a photo, so I took one off the Internet for you to see.
 
 
They are kind of comical looking.  They have tall legs and their body is only about 10 inches.  These owls are out and about during the daytime hours.

I love the mules, the donkeys and the goats at Task Farms.  I stopped by to say hi at a trial over there last weekend that I wasn't entered in. 

This is Claud, the beer drinking mule

Want a little more?

Oh yeah!
 
It's lambing time.

The deer camouflage themselves well.  There are 13 in the front pasture of Pitchfork Ranch, the llama ranch.  I have been watching them multiply of late.

They know they can't be hunted on the ranch.  The food is good here.  The llamas do not present a threat.  And, they have water.  What could be better?  Lots of us passing by pull into the ranch to have  look at them.  It's way cool.
 
Last, but not least, Trouble has been moping around after the 49's lost!
 
 
 
 


2 comments:

Jenny Glen said...

I had NO IDEA burrowing owls were in the CA high desert! I never heard of them until I moved to AB. It's protected bird up here but I went to a raptor sanctuary and got to hold one on my arm!

gvmama said...

I have seen several in the high desert off of 138 this winter....my first time ever seeing them here. I guess they hang out mostly in the Imperial Valley.

"Wildlife advocates have called for a state investigation as to why the burrowing owl population has so quickly declined. The owl has gone from a population of 5,600 pairs in 1990s to 4,879 pairs in 2007 and 3,557 pairs in 2008. Jeff Miller is a conservation advocate for the Center for Biological Diversity. As he told the Los Angeles Times, "We've seen a 27% drop in one year alone. If there is a similar drop next year, this bird could disappear in California." Miller blames loss of habitat to agriculture and water transfer, while car strikes, pesticides, and attacks from cats and dogs are also possible culprits. Further, the owls snack on ground squirrels, which are currently under siege from a state-run eradication program."