a blog about Kilt and her kids plus Trouble our JRT mascot.

My photo
Sequim, Washington, United States

Friday, January 13, 2012

Tell me Thursday

Allrighty then. This week's questions: 
http://blogs.dogtime.com/crooks-and-crazies



1. Stopping your dog - what do you prefer? On their feet? On their belly? Some combination?
I like to allow the dog to choose what is best for them.  Personally, I like to see a dog on his feet. But, if the dog has a lot of PUSH (like Kilt) a stop on her belly is best.  Less pushy dogs like Jet and Yoko, I prefer them to stand on their feet.  It looks prettier and is less likely to spook sheep going from a belly flat down to walking up.  Old Jet will tell you that stopping on his feet going on 12 yrs. of age is a heck of a sight better on his old bones.


2. At what point do you start teaching this?
As soon as they are able to compute it.  Most of my dogs are reliable on a sit/stand/down by 4 mos. of age.
I always teach my pups early.  If I waited till I put them on sheep to teach them, my household would be a pretty unruly place.


3. Do you have a favorite dog? I won't tell.
Don't tell old Jet and his daughter Yoko, that KILT is my favorite dog to work on stock.  Why?  Because she is an independent thinker and takes no shit from any livestock.  Jet is my favorite dog to travel with.  Yoko gives the best hugs in the world.  Trouble doesn't take up any space.  And, 13 yr. od Xena has the BEST personality of the bunch.  She is just happy to be alive everyday.


4. What is the #1 thing a dog can do to push your buttons?
Without a doubt...manic barking.  I don't allow it.  I won't stand for it.  My dogs best be able to lie quietly, off lead, and wait their turn to work stock.  Period.
Yoko is a bit incessant looking for cattle from the truck.  That is starting to get real annoying.  If she annoys  me enough, I make her get in a crate.
Jet does quite a bit of singing in the morning before I have my coffee.  I'm  not real keen on that.  Shhhhh!
If it is raining or snowing Trouble (my JRT) will pee in the kitchen on our rug.  BAD, small dogs.  Love her to death, but she will be our last small dog.

5. Brrrrr... it's winter. What is your favorite soup recipe?
I sure as heck don't make my own soup especially when I can go to Whole Foods or Trader Joe's. The other day I  made beef stroganoff in the crock pot.  Geez...that was the first time I have really cooked in a long time!  Who has time when there are so many other FUN things to do?



3 comments:

Laura Carson said...

I too have favorite dogs in different situations and for different things. I think it's so neat to hear from everyone else about that.

Agreed - manic barking will push me over the edge.

gvmama said...

I enjoy your TMT's....keep it up. It's fun to read what the other dog owners think :0)

Laura Carson said...

I plan to for a while. Thanks for the affirmation. :) I've found it very interesting, and I like that I get to know bloggers that I wouldn't have known otherwise. Plus it gives people some prompting to write.