a blog about Kilt and her kids plus Trouble our JRT mascot.

My photo
Sequim, Washington, United States

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Looking Back

Yesterday I took the whole day OFF in the snow.  Oh sure, I walked around in the snow and took pictures, but believe me that's about all I did.  It was so nice to do NOTHING.  And, if you know me, that's a rarity.
Wayne took care of the sheep and dogs plus he kept a fire stoked all day and night.  He made breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  He loaded up the wood rack.  I sat around in front of the fire like queen for a day and watched old movies.  I watched Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Town and Country, and Fried Green Tomatoes. I napped on and off like a baby. 

New day  Up at 6 and showered.  Checked to see if Wayne made it to work in the snowy, icy conditions.  Yep, he did. But, he told me not to try to get over the top of San Francisquito today.  Stay at home, he says.
Today is supposed to be sunny.  That is good, because I work at the hospital the next 2 days and I hate driving on ice.  It is a little over 16 miles down the windy canyon to get down to town on my way to work.
I made sure I thanked Wayne immensely for allowing me to be a bum yesterday.  That was the greatest present ever.

Looking back....
While at the Campo sheep dog trial, I remembered it was just 6 yrs. ago that I went to my FIRST USBCHA trial with Jet in Campo.  Jet was 4 1/2 yrs. old.  It was a huge outrun...some 350 yds. for the pro-novice dogs.  Jet made a spot on outrun and brought the sheep straight up through the fetch panels.  I couldn't even see him through the Oak trees.  I'm not sure I even had anything other than a stop and walk-up whistle.  He started the drive and the range ewes stood him off just as he was getting to the first drive panel.   His very first trial, I put him on range ewes.  LOL. Jet...he's the man, a fabulous dog to learn on.

I think we have come a long way in those 6 years.  I know I continually learn from my dogs and watching others run their dogs.  I always tell Yoko, "We will do better when we know better."  Jet is pretty much retired now, but Kilt is 6 and Yoko will be 3 this month.  If Kilt were a team player like Jet, she would be hard to beat.  We have come a long way.  She is everything I want in a stockdog.  Yoko has come a long way, too.  And, we have a long way to go.  Yo is spayed.  She doesn't have the forward push I like.  This isn't a business for me.  This is a hobby.  Sooooo.....we will continue to work together and see how far we can get.  Every dog teaches you so much.  Don't limit your challenges.  Challenge your limits!

1 comment:

Karen said...

I only know about you what I read here, but even I would realize that laying around a whole day is out of character:)
Good for you though, we should all do that once in a while!
Hope the road is good for you tomorrow.
We were predicted snow for last night, but all we got was rain. I'm disappointed:(