a blog about Kilt and her kids plus Trouble our JRT mascot.

My photo
Sequim, Washington, United States

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Kilt (update)

Kilt hurt her toe last weekend at a ranch trial. It always hurts me to see my dogs in pain. It is the beginning of trial season in So. Calif. This weekend it was time for a large trial with special people that I have looked forward to for 6 mos. Kilt and I have worked hard on doing double lifts, shedding, etc. This particular trial has a double lift. I had to scratch my dogs. Insert large "awwwwww' here. The trial is 5 1/2 hrs. away and it is too far to drive 2 1/2 yr. old Yoko to for one pro-novice class.

Kilt broke her front toe at the age of 1 yr. in the sheep pens. Toes are notoriously known to be a difficult joint to break, especially in a working dog. Fracturing a leg would be easier and heal faster with less residual arthritis. She was splinted for 3 1/2 mos. after breaking her toe. I saw a few lame steps here and there when I returned from Florida. She went to a ranch trial and after the first ranch class on hard desert ground with rocks, she was limping. And, when she would catch my eye she would hold her paw up.

Thankfully, the digital x-ray showed nothing. The Vet gave her a steroid injection in her toe joint and she is 100% better today. But, she is still being walked solo or on a leash and being crated. She is my "thoroughbred.' She is a lean, mean, muscle machine. She is my right arm when it comes to working sheep. Kilt means too much to me to possibly sacrifice her injury because of a sheep trial. I'm thinking there is a reason. It gives me comfort to think that way. :0)



                         If that doesn't scare your kids for Halloween, I don't know what will!
                                                Kilt is too mean to be "broke" for long.

2 comments:

Karen said...

That's a great Halloween picture:)))
Hope that toe is now fixed. Would wearing a boot help protect her foot on the rocky ground?

gvmama said...

The only reason I haven't put a boot on her when working sheep is that she needs to be light and quick on her feet. Many amputate the toe, but I'm trying to avoid that ,too. Kilt is tough as nails, so when she says she hurts, we listen.