a blog about Kilt and her kids plus Trouble our JRT mascot.

My photo
Sequim, Washington, United States

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

BRAVE Yo

Yoko working up the courage to go for a nose. She is still hitting a front leg. I don't want to hold the sheep's head, because I think she is smart enough to figure it out on her own. I stand by to see that she doesn't get hurt and encourage her with a shhhh shhhh.

Yoko doing what she does best...moving stock in packed pens...going for a heel.
Someone asked me why I work on bite work so much? Obviously, it's the rare moment when it is needed in a trial. I'll tell you why........cuz the dog is fairly useless to me with ranch work if he can't figure out where and when he needs to bite. :0)
I don't push it...just 5 min. a work session once or twice a week when I go to the ranch. The above are i-phone pics, because I normally work dogs by myself. I had some great nose bites to photograph of Kilt. But, darn it all, she hit 3 noses in a nano second to turn 3 rams before I could even think to push the shutter button. Dang, she's fast!
I wrote Bob Stevens about some "bite" questions I had on the Border Collie Expert Boards for some suggestions. It will be interesting to see what he says. I value his experience.
I just read Bob's reply to the Boards. He is always "right-on." I will continue to have Yo walk in on her sheep trying to get close enough to walk them backwards a bit before hitting them. I may go out and work 2 sheep away from the flock today to see if I can set up that situation. I'll see if Kilt can find 2 that won't try to run her down.


No comments: