a blog about Kilt and her kids plus Trouble our JRT mascot.

My photo
Sequim, Washington, United States

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Don't let pride be your guide

Some people just don't want to pay their dues. We are all "wannabes" at different levels of learning. But, you have to put in your time to make it happen. And, the only way that is going to happen is to get out there and practice. If you don't have sheep, find sheep. If you need a trainer, find a trainer.

After 7 years in this sheepherding sport, practice makes perfect comes to mind. Well, maybe not perfect, but a hell of a sight better than without. I'm never going to beat a big hat who has oodles of acres and livestock. Face it. He or she works their dogs daily. That's okay by me. But, I did want to compete at a higher level in USBCHA. That meant I needed some sheep, a stock trailer, and a place to haul them to. I made that effort last fall. It paid off. I finally got to the open classes with Jet before he was too old to trial. We have placed a couple of times in the top 5. And, Kilt is going to move up to open this fall. Yoko most likely will be able to trial in nursery this winter. She turns 2 in January. I'm pretty pleased with how she is coming along.

Meanwhile, I practice at a fairly local 10 acre ranch that has lots of livestock, arenas, and a field. I may only get out to practice 2-3 times a week, but I do as many ranch type chores with all 3 dogs that I can do. When we go to the desert we get to practice large outruns and work on our driving.

Set goals. Practice. Be consistent. Don't rush. Don't let pride be your guide. You have dues to pay. Once you've done your time, you will start to see results.

No comments: