a blog about Kilt and her kids plus Trouble our JRT mascot.

My photo
Sequim, Washington, United States

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Kilt puts on her "listening ears"




I hope Kilt understands that she is moving up to the open classes this fall. Kilt has a ton of push and loves any kind of ranch work. I just get the feeling that she doesn't care for trialing. What's the big deal? Pick up the sheep and put them through panels. B-O-R-I-N-G. She always puts her own twist on trialing. When we are doing ranch work, she's my partner. When we are trialing, I see a whole different side of her. Sometimes I'm not even in the equation.
Today at a local ranch, the owner asked if I had time would I mind putting all of the ewes from the back pen into the front arena? There were about 50 head of stock in the back pen which included: ewes, wethers, a jenny and lots of goats with huge horns.


I'm going to have to give Kilt credit here. She made short order of this job. She knows when to duck the jenny and she knows how to take hold missing big curly horns about to jab her. Thankfully, all of the ewes had RIGHT ear tags. That helped me as her partner. We finished the job in less than 30 min. The fun part is when we would shed one or two out of the pen and I'd let her work it to the arena. Of course, we had to bypass quite a few stacks of alfalfa, etc.


All in all, she did a pretty impressive job. Good going Keen-Eye Kilt. I will breed this bitch again one of these days. :0)



No comments: