a blog about Kilt and her kids plus Trouble our JRT mascot.

My photo
Sequim, Washington, United States

Sunday, September 7, 2014

The beat goes on...

I decided to take Jet to the Marina, a few minutes away.  Just me and him and the water.  It was a beautiful day.  We both love the water.  I didn't want to pick him up for fear of hurting his already tender, tight belly, so I assisted him in using the dog ramp to get in and out of the truck.
We were just sitting there looking out over the water when a lady interrupted our thoughts asking if she could use my camera to take some pictures of us.  It was then that I turned around seeing a small group of people behind us.  They were watching me sitting at the waters edge talking and petting my dog.

As soon as I gave the camera to the lady, Jet came alive.  He immediately got back that twinkle in his eye and started performing….. paws over his nose, crossing his paws, etc.
My friend, Patricia put it best….Jet is just like an old actor.  You wheel him out onto the stage.  He sees an audience and it's showtime.  Afterwards, you wheel him off the stage.  LOL  Pretty much.
It was like all these strangers to us knew there was a story behind our partnership.  I shared a little of it with them.  One man said, "He doesn't look sick.  He is gorgeous."  I admit he is pretty comfortable with his fentanyl patch.  But, even though we were a short distance from the truck, he got a bit wobbly on the way back.  I ended up carrying him the last 100 feet.

 I think this is my favorite photo.  I can see the "twinkle" in his eyes.  Even though he is slowing down and has lost a bit of weight, he is not ready to go.  I am so dang happy I thought to try steroids with him.  If I hadn't started him on Dexamethasone followed by prednisone, he might not be here today.  Sometimes being a nurse is a good thing :0)  I have bought Jet some time.  I'm not sure how long, but even though his appetite is 1/4 of what it should be, he is wagging and watching my every move like he has done all of his life.  He is eating liver and chicken.  He isn't jaundiced, so I think his liver is still working.  I just fear he has cancer that is eating away at his body.  I don't want any surgery or diagnostics.  I already know he is anemic from the color of his gums.  I know he has fluid in his abdomen.  I know he is slowing down and getting weaker.  But, as long as he can get outside to do his business and has a wagging tail, I will respect his will to live.

We have traveled an interesting road, my friend and I
It's not over yet :)


1 comment:

Karen said...

He looks so happy, and you too, in that second photo, love it! Glad you are both getting these extra days.