a blog about Kilt and her kids plus Trouble our JRT mascot.

My photo
Sequim, Washington, United States

Friday, April 19, 2013

Ono Yoko


Too busy.  I need to slow down.  This morning I left the house at 4:30 to arrive in San Diego for a SDT.  I arrived exactly one dog before I was to run (due to San Diego traffic).  I got to watch the dog before me lose their sheep on the lift to set out.  The judge was nice enough to tell me about the shed.  Shed two and pen those two, not the other two.  Heck, we didn't even have time to pee, less strategize.
It was painful.  Yoko's slicey left flank was blatant throughout her run.  The sheep were large Dorper slugs.  They would be hard for a wolf on the hunt to move.  Yoko is mostly a follower.  She uses her teeth for heel bites as push (on the ranch).  She just missed the dog leg fetch panels since she wouldn't listen to me.  The cross drive was painfully off line.  The only nice thing she did other than fetching the sheep on a very tricky blind outrun were her sheds.  Good on you, Yo.  We have been working on that.  Unfortunately, I hadn't mulled it over in my mind how I was going to keep the two sheep away from the other two while we penned.  They got back together and then Yoko did a great second shed.  I screwed it up again.  The third shed, she ran in for a bite.  Can't say I blame her.  I retired.

On the long drive home (over 3 hour drive one way) Yo kept putting a paw on my shoulder while smiling at me from ear to ear.  I told her, "That's okay Yoko.  You did fine."  When we stopped at a part on the road that was doing construction, we had to wait about 10 minutes to follow a truck that was to lead our lane through the road construction.  The guy holding the stop sign was pretty "shady" looking.  When he took a few steps toward my truck, I saw Yoko lift her upper lip and give a low grrrr.  When he leaned over to the ground, standing back up quickly, I watched her grrr turn into a medium rumble and she showed him all of her pearly whites.  It was then that I reminded myself why I love this dog so much!

Yes, we are sloppy trailers.  I admit it.  I have lost my cutting edge.  But, it isn't ALL about trialing.  All of my dogs have their faults. All of my open dogs have a few open points.  All have their very own 'special' qualities. They are all good ranch dogs.  I think Yoko and her mother are the very best.  They like being independent thinkers and they always get the job done.  I love that about them.  Jet had finesse, but never had the power the girls have on different types of stock.  They love being ranch dogs.  And, I love working them on the ranch.  I think that about sums it up.

I would have stayed for Saturday's open run, but I have pediatric advanced life support classes (mandatory) for my unit on Sat/Sun.  Sigh.  But, that's okay.  There will always be another day.  But, now I am thinking about waiting for Champ to be old enough to trial, so I have two dogs to take with me.  Driving 3, 6, 10 and 12 hours with one dog is wearing me down.  There are so many things I like to do...take pictures, paint, draw, etc.  I will be trying to put everything in perspective this spring.  Meanwhile, I LOVE my dogs.  They are so special, whether they qualify for the finals or not :0)

No comments: