a blog about Kilt and her kids plus Trouble our JRT mascot.

My photo
Sequim, Washington, United States

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Crater Lake

Crater Lake - Like No Place Else on Earth

Crater Lake has inspired people for hundreds of years. No place else on earth combines a deep, pure lake, so blue in color; sheer surrounding cliffs, almost two thousand feet high; two picturesque islands; and a violent volcanic past. It is a place of immeasurable beauty.



I have been to Crater Lake with my husband on one of our many past trips.  It was not on my agenda this trip, but I had some time to kill when I came into Medford, OR. and decided I needed to see this magnificent lake AGAIN.  I had a little luck on my side, too.  I arrived at about 4:40 and the park closed it's gates at 5:00 pm.  The lake had very few tourists at this time of day and it was like having the place to myself.  I can't tell you how "meditative" Crater Lake is.  You need to experience it yourself to feel the awe inspiring beauty.   It was so quiet walking around the lake you could hear a pin drop.  I thanked the Lord for my health and talked to Mom above.  Then, the dogs and I just sat and meditated.  It was a cool 60 degrees with snow still on the ground.



Crater Lake was formed when a massive eruption of Mount Mazama 7700 years ago caused the mountain to collapse, leaving a steaming caldera. Centuries of rain and snow filled the caldera creating Crater Lake.

Just look at how BLUE the water is :0)


Occasional fog and storms in the summer may limit your view. Winter storms screen the lake up to 50% of the time. Weather plays a dramatic role at Crater Lake National Park. Winter, especially, shapes the landscape; snow generally begins to accumulate each year in October and doesn't melt in most places until the following June. Summer weather is more predictable, with warm, dry days, blue skies, and cool nights. Nevertheless, there may be days even in August when the lake is completely obscured by clouds and fog. Visitors to Crater Lake National Park should be prepared for any kind of weather.


Unusual lighting


So glad I made the time to visit here again.


























No comments: