a blog about Kilt and her kids plus Trouble our JRT mascot.

My photo
Sequim, Washington, United States

Monday, May 16, 2011

Going with your GUT feeling...

After receiving quite a few e-mails updating me on the Colorado (Durango) trial and the "canine virus" that has been there in Durango since the end of February, I decided to scratch my Colorado trip.  The Vets in the area were recommending both Bordatella (which my dogs have) AND canine H3N8 influenza vaccines (which they don't have.)
I'm grateful that the people putting on the Durango trial were kind enough to forewarn us.  The second trial said their trial shouldn't be a problem since they weren't in Durango.  But, their trial is just 45 min. from Durango.  The first trial was a Mon-Fri trial and the 2nd trial Sun/Mon.  I'm not about to spend beau coup bucks on a two day trial out of state.  I tried to line 3 trials up; didn't get in the first, and got in in the other two. 
Oh well....I have to follow my gut feeling.  The influenza vaccine is given 3 weeks apart.  The second part of the vaccine would be given hardly a week before I was to travel across country.  Add that to doubling the elevation to 7000 feet and I didn't have a good feeling about it.  They have NOT even identified the virus as of yet. 
As a nurse I'm a bit funny about vaccines.  I was vaccinated with the "live" Hepatitis vaccine when I was in nursing school years ago.  It was supposed to be a series of three vaccines.  After the first, I became very ill.  I had the worst arthralgia ever, developed Hashimoto's thyroiditis and burned up my thyroid.  It was reported to the Center for Disease Control (CDC.)  My girlfriends who received 2 parts of the 3 vaccinations wound up with Hep B and Hep C.  A little cautious about vaccines....you betcha.  Of course, those were "live" (attenuated) vaccines, not "dead" vaccines.  I'm not against all vaccines, just cautious about what I am putting into my body and into my dog's as well. :0)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1m_jed44Ps      One of several videos I have watched

Then my girlfriend who is a Vet back East.....said "Ah, it's nothing (referring to the canine flu).  Oh well, always best to follow your gut.  Think of the money I saved. :0)

No comments: