a blog about Kilt and her kids plus Trouble our JRT mascot.

My photo
Sequim, Washington, United States

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Stock Panels

Finally, my hubby built a rack for my fetch panels on my stocktrailer.  My panels were built by Tom Spencer and they are light enough for me to take off and put on the rack all by myself.  It's really nice to be able to have fetch panels for our long outruns in the desert.

You can barely see my trailer up in the right hand corner of this picture.  I have been trying to streeeetch the dogs outruns.  If you outrun at 200 yds consistently and then try to do 300-400 yards, most likely your dog will cross over at just about 200 yards.  We have a few trials coming up with 500 yard outruns.

Here is Bryan and Scoop working the panels.  If you look closely you can see them to the right of Bryan.  We had the dogs doing figure eights through and around the fetch panels.  Derek Fisher taught me that sometimes you need to give alot of commands very quickly.  This is a good exercise for that train of thought.

Kilt driving her sheep in the desert.  In about another month or less, I will not be working the desert again until next fall.  The chance is too great running into a Mohave Green rattler.  They are heme (blood) and neuro (neurologically) toxic (few survive their bite).  I stepped on one on March 17th, 2009, the day I was told I was in remission from cancer.  Can you imagine?  Saint Patrick must have been watching over me with his Lucky Charms.  The rattler was basking in the sun.  He didn't coil until I stepped on him.  He didn't strike.  But, that made a believer out of me.  He matched the light green grasses perfectly.  It's scary enough just with the Pacific and Diamond back rattlers in my own neck of the woods.  But, at least you have a chance with them, since they are just heme toxic.  But, enough of that...just talking about it gives me the creeps.  No more creepy crawly talk.  Have a great day!

3 comments:

Karen said...

The setup for the panels is great. Are they aluminum?
Those snakes do sound like they are best avoided:(

WalkOn Border Collies said...

ACK! Move to the PNW! No rattlers. I have a great story from Sturgis during Alasdair's run to tell you some day....remind me at Arlington.

gvmama said...

I will remember to ask. I also remember Alasdair with a rattler story in New Mexico. Gosh, I hate rattle snakes!