a blog about Kilt and her kids plus Trouble our JRT mascot.

My photo
Sequim, Washington, United States

Friday, March 12, 2010

Maya Angelou Attitude Adjustment

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude."
Maya Angelou

One of my favorite writers. There is a lot of truth to the above statement. It also pertains to the training of your dogs along with other lifetime accomplishments.

So many times I hear someone bemoan over and over again what is wrong with their dog. "He can't do that because of this. We have tried everything. There is no way to fix it."

That drives me CRAZY. First and foremost....CHANGE your ATTITUDE. If you have a defeatest attitude, guess what the end result usually is?

I was bemoaning the fact that Yoko doesn't have enough "come forward" for my liking on the drive. I was thinking out loud to my husband telling him, "Maybe you should use her for agility."
She growls and has a ton of come forward on the weave poles. LOL
My husband set my thinking cap on straight. He said, "Just you wait and see. She just turned two. Give her a CHANCE." That was just the attitude adjustment I was looking for....

2 comments:

Emma Rose said...

Good post. Just what I needed this morning!

Unknown said...

Close your eyes and open them up again and look at her in a new light. Then you can see what is wrong and it is usually the handler, dog need to grow up, need a new approach. Change your mindset on what you are doing.